IAS (Civil Services) examination is conducting by UPSC every year. Generally there are two examination held by UPSC for selection of the required candidates. First part of examination is Preliminary and second one is Main examination. Only those candidates will able to appear in Mains who have clear there Preliminary exam. So it is the best time for you to start preparation to clear Preliminary stage, if you want to be an IAS and serve in nation via civil services.
IAS Preliminary exam is consist of two parts basically
1. General Studies
2. Optional Subject
Candidates, who already appeared for the exam once or twice, know the examination pattern very well but who are appearing for first time will find the pattern very lengthy and confusing. IAS exam is not just testing your knowledge but it is do much more than that. You will find that question on the paper are very tough or indirect because the paper is made tough in order to select only those candidates, who understands the situation very well and then find solution for that not for those who take decision in hurry without understanding problems.
Here I am discussing some of the important tips for preparation of Prelims exam, try to follow them carefully:
Section 1: General Studies
This part is just to check that the candidate is aware of the events/ issues/ any other work all around the world and country. If you are good enough in General Knowledge (history, geography, economics, politics and current affairs) you may clear this section but there is need to sharp your skills. Here are some tips for general studies:
• Read news paper and magazines daily for current events/issues
• Read 11th and 12th class history, polity and economics books 2 hour daily. You can download some eBooks from here
• For objective type question refer general knowledge book by O.P Khanaa
• Try to read more business and political news
Section 2: Optional Subject
For this stage first you need to choose your subject i.e. if you have done your degree in Arts THEN GO FOR Geography and History and same for other educations.
• Try to give more time to your subject, because it is easier and you have studied it well.
• Do not forget about general studies while preparing for subject.
• Study latest syllabus for civil services. You can see syllabus here
• Put more efforts on your work.
Things to remember:
• Regular study is must
• Follow the examination pattern
• Make it habit to set timing according to exam and try to solve questions on time
• Make personal notes
• Solve practice papers and previous papers
• Do more and more hard work
How to Prepare for IAS Preliminary Examination – IAS Preparation Tips